Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Taken from GirlTalk

I love to read the GirlTalk blog that the Mahaney girls (C.J. Mahaney's wife and daughters), who are part of Sovereign Grace Ministries, write. I love the blog because much of it is about biblical womanhood but a lot of it is just about living the Christian life in general and loving Christ more. It's such an encouragement to read, and many of the stories and articles posted are such a blessing. Here are two things that I really enjoyed reading on it lately:

This quote by Paul Tripp on waiting is from a post written by Nicole Whitacre-
"Waiting on God isn't about the suspension of meaning and purpose. It's part of the meaning and purpose that God has brought into my life. Waiting on God isn't to be viewed as an obstruction in the way of the plan. Waiting is an essential part of the plan. For the child of God, waiting isn't simply about what I'll receive at the end of my wait. No, waiting is much more purposeful, efficient, and practical than that. Waiting is fundamentally about what I'll become as I wait. God is using the wait to do in and through me exactly what He's promised. Through the wait He's changing me. By means of the wait He's altering the fabric of my thoughts and desires. Through the wait He's causing me to see and experience new things about Him and His kingdom. And all of this sharpens me, enabling me to be a more useful tool in His redemptive hands" (emphasis hers).

The second post I'd like to mention came from their archives and was written by Carolyn Mahaney. The actual post was written about motherhood but can really be applied to all walks of life. She talks about the first answer of the Shorter Catechism, which says, "Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever." Then she takes a point from J.I. Packer's book Praying the Lord's Prayer. Packer said that this statement uses the word "end" and not "ends". So both glorifying and enjoying God are the same end - they go together. To glorify God is to enjoy Him, and to enjoy Him is to glorify Him. [Though she does clarify that this doesn't mean that obeying God is always going to be the easy, joyful thing to do.]

The links to the actual posts are here: first post and second post.
Hope you enjoyed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment