Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

A Couple Thoughts as of Late

God has been doing so much in my life lately. In almost every area of my life, He has pulled me and stretched me and taught me valuable things. But there are a couple things in particular that have been consistently on my mind.
  • I love hearing what God has done in people's lives. I love when people tell of a way He has provided for, helped, answered prayer, reassured, saved, sanctified, taught, etc. them or someone they know. It's such an encouragement. These stories are almost always followed by an amazing truth: "God is so good." I love it. But sometimes I think, do we say that in the midst of trials? When we do not see an end of our/someone else's suffering? When God is closing a door we do not want closed? When someone or something is taken away from us? When sin is prevalent in the life of someone we deeply care about? When He says "no" or "wait" to a prayer that we expect a positive answer to? I have been convicted of this lately in my own life. It's like the phrase goes, "God is good all the time; all the time, God is good." It just seems like often people only say that when He is giving them what they want. He has given us life, salvation, forgiveness, the ability to be reconciled to Him, the ability to be seen as righteous in His sight, and provides for our needs, on top of so many things. That alone shows His goodness. He is good, even when our circumstances aren't.
  • On a completely separate note, it's often hard to trust that God will provide for our needs. Do I trust Him as my provider? To say that I never fail in that area would be a (big) lie. I struggle to have faith that He will provide everything I need sometimes. Which shows that often my theology is in the "quite messed up" department. I know God will provide for every need. Sometimes I have trouble trusting in the details or in the "how" of His provision. But deep down, I really do know He will provide. Why? Because He promises to do it. He always keeps His word. If He promised to do it, He will. But as I was talking with a friend the other night, I had a realization. God will keep His word, so if He promises to provide, I can rest assured that He will. But it's more than just a promise - it's who He is. One of His names is Jehovah Jireh (the Lord provides). God does not just provide because He promised to do so. He provides because it's who He is. That just really encouraged me. (I had similar thoughts along these lines several months ago; if you want to read my post it's here.)
I could say so much more about what I've learned. But this is what I wanted to/had time to share tonight. Hopefully I'll have more time to write posts over Thanksgiving break (I leave for home TOMORROW). Enjoy your week, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment