Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Encouragement from Hymns

Wow...it's been a while since I've posted anything on this blog. For over a year now, I've been blogging over at andallisbright.wordpress.com. This blog is not really posted for the general public anymore. I've been thinking a lot about blogging over the last few months and realized that I think right now is a time for me to say less than I usually do. When I do blog, it's usually related to my credential program and the challenges and triumphs encountered there. However, blogging or writing in general helps me sort out my thoughts, so I might use this space just for my own benefit. If anyone else comes across this, I hope you are encouraged by what you see.

There have been several things lately that have caused me to battle with discouragement and discontentment in general. My uncle passed away pretty suddenly a few weeks ago. Relationships with friends are becoming harder to keep up when most friends are so far away. And then there's credentialing. Student teaching presents many challenges. Many of these kids have really rough home lives and it's heartbreaking. Additionally, many students are constantly disrespectful to every single adult in our class (myself, my master teacher, and an aide for a hard-of-hearing student). This has been quite the challenge as the constant management feels like a distraction for actual teaching. Also, it has revealed much of my own sin. I constantly fight impatience, annoyance, and general unkindness. I genuinely love my students, but there are times when my tone conveys otherwise. It's been pretty discouraging, but God is too kind to let me stay in my discouragement. He has used many people to encourage me, but one thing that has helped almost more than anything else is listening to hymns. If you know me, you know how much I love hymns. They are essentially doctrine put in beautiful words and put to music. How can you be discouraged by your circumstances when you're constantly pointed to Christ and the hope you have because of Him??


Here are some verses from hymns that have been especially encouraging:



  1. All the way my Savior leads me,
    What have I to ask beside?
    Can I doubt His tender mercy,
    Who through life has been my Guide?
    Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
    Here by faith in Him to dwell!
    For I know, whate’er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well;
    For I know, whate’er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well.
  1. -All the Way My Savior Leads Me, Franny Crosby

Every day the Lord Himself is near me,
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear and cheer me,
He whose name is Counsellor and Pow’r.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,“
This the pledge to me He made.
-Day by Day, Lina Sandell
  1. I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
    Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness;
    Where is thy sting, death? Where, grave, thy victory?
    I triumph still, abide with me.
-Abide with Me, Henry F. Lyte

My faith has found a resting place,
Not in device or creed.
I trust the ever living One,
His wounds for me shall plead.
I need no other argument,
I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me. 
-My Faith Has Found a Resting Place, Eliza E. Hewitt

This is my Father’s world, O let me ne’er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father’s world: the battle is not done:
Jesus Who died shall be satisfied,
And earth and Heav’n be one.
-This Is My Father's World, Maltbie D. Babcock

O that day when freed from sinning,
I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in the blood washed linen
How I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace;
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
Take my ransomed soul away;
Send thine angels now to carry
Me to realms of endless day.

-Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, Robert Robinson

I strongly recommend listening to hymns when you are discouraged. 
Hope you're having a good night! :)
Laurie


No comments:

Post a Comment