Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Comfort in the Midst of Trials

As I mentioned in my last post, the last couple weeks have been difficult. Soon after writing that post, things got even more complex and difficult. I'm learning to lean hard on the Lord, because He's really all I have. He's also all that I need, and is teaching me that He's all that I want. His comfort is so sure. No matter what happens, I know He will be there with me. He is the one constant in my life, and I am so grateful that He is a refuge when we need it. Seriously, no matter what you're going through, He will be there for you, just ask! Sometimes, it's so hard and I can't even figure out how to pray, but all I do is ask for help and strength and He gives both. I have some really godly people speaking truth into my life, and it's been a huge blessing. A friend encouraged me to read this passage, so I thought I'd share. I know everyone goes through trials and needs encouragement at times, and hope that God uses these verses to help you as He did for me.
Therefore, humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To Him be dominion forever and ever. Amen. - I Peter 5:6-11
Verse 7 is very popular ("casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you"). But so often, the emphasis is on the first part - we can cast our cares (as another version calls it) on Him. Which is so true. But people often forget the rest - the reason we are able to cast our cares on Him is because He cares for us. How awesome is that? He cares so much about us that He wants us to come to Him when we're hurting. We serve an awesome God, you guys. Also look at the hope in the last two verses - after suffering for a while, God will perfect, confirm, strengthen, and establish us. So awesome to think about. And then it ends with pointing to where the focus of all this should be, on God, who has dominion forever. I am so thankful for His Word that is a constant comfort to me during this time.

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to comment, I stumbled upon your blog and read your last few posts...and thought I would just say that I appreciated your thoughts. They are honest and true and don't worry...there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

    Come on over and visit my new blog Color Issue...and follow along if you'd like!

    xoxo
    Aarean

    colorissue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this comment. Thank you so much for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete