Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

When Trials Come

This semester has been a time of testing for me, for sure. It seems as if I've been hit with hard things from all sides. In it, I see so much of God's goodness and don't wish any of my problems away, because I know He's teaching me so much through them.

Today in OT, Abner talked about how, for once, he had his phone with him in class. Unfortunately, it was because he was anticipating the possibility of a call of bad news - his wife is currently in the hospital, with complications with her pregnancy. Then he started talking about why God allows trials in our lives. Tests come not because He doesn't know how we will respond or where our heart is, but to show us where our hearts are.  He compared it to classes - he could sit down and chat with us for a while and figure out how much of the material we know, but a test shows us how much of the material we know. He said that trials show if we have the right frame of mind or not. They bring out what matters to us and what we love first.

I thought this was so profound. I've always tried to figure it out, because I knew that tests show where are hearts are but I also knew that God already knows that. I didn't understand that tests are to show US where we are. I thought this was super interesting.

James 1:2-4, 12 says, "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing...Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him."

Ultimately, the purpose for every trial is our sanctification. When your faith is tested, and you see your reliance on the Lord and what He's taught you, it produces endurance (verse 2), because you know it will end, and you know it was best for you. And as verse 12 points out, perseverance brings blessing. This is such a great thing to know! So anytime you are encountering trials [which you WILL - it's been said that either you're just coming out of a trial, are currently in one, or are about to be in one - they're inevitable], remember this passage and the comfort and hope it brings! Also, listen to this song :)




No comments:

Post a Comment