Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Contentment

Contentment is something that everyone struggles with - if you don't, please tell me your secret! I know that I have struggled with contentment once or twice... Okay maybe a lot more than that. I am not writing this because I feel like I have achieved this. I am writing it because I know that it is something that I struggle with constantly and so other people probably do too. Before I get too into it, I want to define what it means to be contented, because I think it may be helpful to make sure we all are on the completely same page.

Contented: feeling or showing satisfaction with one's possessions, status, or situation (Merriam-Webster Dictionary App); satisfied with what God has given you right now, not needing, longing for, or expecting anything more or different (my own definition).

To give you an idea of some areas where people are discontent I thought I'd make a list. Not all of these things apply to me, but many of them do:

  • Money. The idea that no matter how much money you have, it's not enough. 
  • Status. Wanting more people to like you, craving admiration, needing everyone to see your value.
  • Friends. Thinking that you don't have enough friends, or friends that do enough on weekends, or that your friendships are too shallow/deep/boring/joy-deprived, etc.
  • Family. Knowing that all families are weird and have problems but wishing yours was less weird or had fewer problems (trust me - even the families that seem to be perfect, aren't)
  • Job. It's a hard economy, I get that. But every job has its own set of pros and cons. Many people are underpaid. There aren't a lot of jobs out there for college grads - or anyone else, for that matter. 
  • Relationships. "If I just had a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse, all my problems wouldn't be so bad." Thinking you won't be lonely anymore and that you'll always something to do or someone to talk to, if only you just had someone.
  • School. "School is boring." "Classes suck." "I have way too much homework and never get to sleep." "My GPA isn't what I want it to be."
  • Possessions. Wanting a newer/better/faster everything. Wanting more. 
  • Clothes. "I don't have anything to wear." "If only I had more options, getting dressed would be either."
  • Appearance. The idea that you have to fix or hide every single flaw, never embracing the looks that God gave you. Focusing too much on the outside and not enough on the inside.
  • Food. I'm in college and I know that cafeterias aren't exactly the place to get a gourmet, fully balanced fat-free vegan meal (is that combo possible?). Sometimes nothing tastes good. But God still provided a meal for you and it's important to be grateful.
These are just a few examples of things people are discontent in. Not all of these things are wrong across the board, for example, it's okay to look at your GPA and not be content because you know you can do way better if you just try. I'm not saying that it's always wrong to want a job, or know that you need to make a few more bucks to make ends meet this month, or knowing that your friends are doing more harm than good for your spiritual life, or whatever. But I think you can spot the difference if you try. Contentment is a heart thing.

"Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled, and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:11-3.

Paul, who wrote this book to the Philippians, sure knew how to be content. For those of you unfamiliar with this, it was a letter that he wrote to the church in Philippi while he was in jail. Wait - did I just say that? This guy, who says that he has "learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am", wrote that while he was in jail? While his basic human rights and freedoms we Americans fight so hard to keep were stripped from him? Huh. How then is this possible? Well, we see it in verse 13 - his contentment is possible because he "can do all things through [God] who strengthens" him. This verse is often taken out of context to mean that I can do whatever I put my mind to because God will make it possible. Maybe He does make seemingly impossible things happen, but that's not necessarily what this verse is promising. This verse says that those who look to Christ for the strength to be content can find it. Paul says that he was content both when he had a lot and when he had almost nothing. 

Some things to remember about contentment:
  • Sometimes we are not supposed to be content. But the list is short - we are never to be content in our sin, in our knowledge of God, in our pursuit of holiness, and things like that. It's okay to always want to work harder to be a better employee/boss/friend/sibling/daughter/son/whatever.
  • Wanting something doesn't necessarily mean you aren't content. It's okay that sometimes I see something and want it, even for a couple months, as long as I don't believe that I need it to be complete, or think that without it I am of less value. It's okay to want things in the future, like marriage, kids, and a home, but if that is your focus and you think you won't be happy or whole until you have those things, you have become discontent.
  • Don't mistake contentment for an excuse to be lazy. It's not okay to be content with not trying something because you think God will work it out for you. You need to put full effort into things and be content with the results.
  • Contentment is not based on circumstances. No matter how much you have, if you are discontented, you will always need more. That's why people pursue things so heartily sometimes, because they think that just a little bit more will be all they need. But are these people satisfied? No, because in their heart is discontentment. True contentment is like Paul's - content with everything and with nothing.
  • The ability to be content comes from no other source than God Himself. Knowing who you are in Him, knowing what He's done for you on the cross and what He does for you every day of your life, and knowing that He is in control and has a plan helps. But when you still struggle, all you have to do is ask. "...You do not have because you do not ask." James 3:2. If you ask for help, God will give it to you!
  • When you struggle being content, count your blessings. Seriously. Think about every single thing that you have been blessed with - I know that once I start, it's hard to stop! Then remember who has given you those things and thank Him for it.
Here are some quotes I found related to this subject:
  • "Until we truly learn that God is sovereign, ordering everything for His own holy purposes and the ultimate good of those who love Him, we can’t help but be discontent. That’s because in taking on the responsibility of ordering our lives, we will be frustrated in repeatedly discovering that we can’t control everything. Everything already is under control, however, by Someone far greater than you or I." John MacArthur (found here - read the whole thing if you get a chance!)
  • "Teach me to treat all that comes to me with peace of soul and firm conviction that your will governs all." Elisabeth Elliot
  • "Don't let comparison steal your joy."
  • "Start each day with a grateful heart."
  • "Gratitude turns what we have into enough."
  • "Someone else is happy with less than what you have."



No comments:

Post a Comment